Sunday, October 26, 2014

The Prayer Room: 10/26/14, 20th Sunday After Pentecost

For God alone my soul waits in silence; from him comes my salvation.  He alone is my rock and salvation, my fortress;  I shall never be shaken.--Psalm 62:1-2 (NRSV)

This morning in our class we talked about how when Dietrich Bonhoeffer visited Rome he saw men, women, and people of all colors and races come together as lay people and members of religious orders.  This encouraged him to really think of the Church as a universal entity.  There he was, a German Lutheran, finding unity with Roman Catholics.  

It inspired me to really think along those same lines.  So I decided that I would reach out to all of you with the offer of prayer.  On Sundays I'll write an entry called The Prayer Room, where I'll list some of my own thanksgivings and concerns about the world as a whole.  I may also list some personal things.  I'll be praying for each of these things throughout the week, and I invite each of you, no matter your religious affiliation, to join me in praying about these things.  If you have something that you would like to add to The Prayer Room, feel free to leave a comment, drop me an email at brandonlbc@gmail.com, or contact me on Twitter @BrandonLBC.  I'll be happy to add it to the next entry of the Prayer Room and pray for your concern throughout the week.  If you would like me to pray for you privately, I'm more than happy to do that as well, just use the email or send me a DM on Twitter.

There's only one rule to this.  I don't want it to turn into some political thing or theological argument, especially with elections pending in our nation.  Let's keep it respectful, positive, and apolitical.  So I'm NOT looking for stuff like "Let's pray that such and such party wins the elections."  I truly believe that the church, as a community, is made up of people with different opinions on a range of issues.  However, when we realize that we are one in Christ, we realize that what unites us is truly bigger than what divides us.

So with all that being said, here is what's on my mind for the coming week.

THANKSGIVINGS

--For the life of Dietrich Bonhoeffer and all of those who work tirelessly, and sometimes give their lives, to bring the love of Christ into the world.

--For organizations like food banks and the Salvation Army, who will be working throughout the holidays and winter months to give people food and necessities, as well as to provide a Christmas for many children of folks who can't afford it.

--For the ability, for those of us in the USA and other countries, to express our belief (or lack of belief) freely without fear of government sanction.

CONCERNS AND PETITIONS

--For those who are not free to worship or express their belief (or lack of belief) freely.

--For the victims and families of the victims of the latest school shooting in the United States, which happened last Friday in Marysville, Washington.  Also let us not forget the family of the young man who committed the act.

--For the victims and all those affected by the shootings in and around the Canadian Parliament in Ottawa, especially the family and friends of  Nathan Cirillo, the Canadian Soldier killed in this event, pictured here with his 5 year old son Marcus.


--For all those affected by the Ebola virus, as well as the brave doctors, nurses, and others who risk their own health and lives to help and care for the sick and dying.

--For the safety of children who will be participating in Halloween activities during the coming week.

--For people, who due to injury, disease, or disability, are no longer able to perform their jobs and must rely on others for assistance,

--For American and allied service personnel and their families, and that the current armed conflicts can be resolved with the least amount of violence done to the least amount of people.

--For people who do not have basic essentials of food and shelter heading into the winter months.

"Do not be afraid, I am with you. I have called you each by name.  Come and follow me, I will bring you home.  I love you and you are mine."

--Dear Lord, thank you for the week you have given us, and help us to seek to better the world around us through your son, Jesus Christ, who taught us to pray:

  Our Father who art in heaven,
Hallowed be thy Name.
Thy kingdom come.
Thy will be done,
On earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from evil.
[For thine is the kingdom,
and the power, and the glory,
for ever and ever.]

Amen.



1 comment:

  1. That's a lovely blog. Where's the scripture reference from?

    ReplyDelete