Sunday, January 4, 2015

The Prayer Room, 1/4/15: Epiphany Sunday

And then the one who was seated on the throne said, "See, I am making all things new." Also he said, "Write this, for these words are trustworthy and true." (Revelation 21:5 NRSV)

How many times in the past few days have you heard someone mention "New Year's Resolutions?" How many "New Year, New You" sales have you seen advertised on television and in stores?  It's big business as the calendar changes over from December to January and we add to our count of years.

It's probably for the better anyway.  Think about what we go through, and what often put ourselves through, during the holiday period.  We eat too much, we spend too much, we sit around too much, some folks drink too much, and then you add on the stress of running around to do shopping as well as time with family friends, time that we all want to be perfect but often ends up creating more tension than peace.  So it's really no big mystery why so many of us look at the start of the new calendar year, and the end of the holiday season, as a chance to start over and to get back on track.

It also happens to be a great time to look at your relationship with Christ, and with others, and see how you're doing.  We can use this time for a fresh start in our walk with God, and through that, a fresh start in our walk with others: our families, friends, and neighbors.  I wonder, as we've sat about thinking how we're gonna pay our Christmas bills and lose that extra weight, how many of us have thought about what God might have in store for us in the new year?

It can be an intimidating thought to ponder.  If we really strive to be open to his will and direction, there's no telling where that might take us.  Earlier this evening I read the beginning of the story of Abraham, where God tells him to pack up everything, leave the land of his family and culture, and venture into a strange and foreign land.  It is in doing this, taking this initial step of faith and trust, that begins a relationship and covenant with God, wherein Abraham's descendants will bring about a blessing to all the earth.

He had to be open though, he had to take the first step. Will you join me in trying to be more open to God this year, as scary as that might seem?  Remember that taking that first step into a new experience can lead to great growth and enrichment for ourselves and others we come into contact with!

Instead of the usual prayers I offer every Sunday, I invite you, if you are willing to try to be more open to God and new things in this new year, to join me in John Wesley's Covenant Prayer.  This is often used as a recommitment to God in the United Methodist Church during the first services of a new year.

I am no longer my own, but yours.
Put me to what you will, rank me with whom you will;
put me to doing, put me to suffering;
let me be employed for you, or laid aside for you,
exalted for you, or brought low for you;
let me be full,
let me be empty,
let me have all things,
let me have nothing:
I freely and wholeheartedly yield all things
to your pleasure and disposal.
And now, glorious and blessed God,
Father, Son and Holy Spirit,
you are mine and I am yours. So be it.
And the covenant now made on earth, let it be ratified in heaven.
Amen.

1 comment: