Sunday, November 2, 2014

The Prayer Room--11/02/14, 21st Sunday After Pentecost; All Saints Sunday

"For once you were in darkness, but now in the Lord you are light.  Live as Children of Light--for the fruit of light is found in all that is good and right and true."--Ephesians 5: 8-9

Greetings and peace to everyone in the name of Christ!  I really enjoyed doing the "Prayer Room" post from last week and I got some notes on Twitter from a couple of folks who liked it as well.  So here we are again, coming to the end of another Sunday but the beginning of another week in which we all have joys, thanksgivings, struggles, and shortcomings.  I invite you to join me in turning all of theses over to the love of Jesus.

I've had two things that have been on my mind in recent days.  The first of which I'm sure has been on many of your minds as well.  This is the election coming up on Tuesday for those of us in the United States.  I've been thinking about it even more as I've been reading and studying about Dietrich Bonhoeffer and how Germany, under control of the Nazi Party, basically co-opted the church in Germany in the 1930s.  This has really led me to ponder the relationship between church and state. There will be more about that on the blog in the coming days, but for now, let's just keep the country in mind as we go to the polls on Tuesday.

The other thing that's been on my mind is terminal illness.  Specifically I've been reading about this young woman in Oregon, Brittany Maynard, who had decided to end her own life after being diagnosed with incurable brain cancer.  Today her life ended.  She had been working as an advocate for the "right to die" movement and her story had been controversial in some circles.  Even now, when it's all over, there are people who are judging this woman, mostly on religious grounds, saying life "isn't meant to be ended on our own terms."

Look, I'm not a theologian, nor do I pretend to know the mind of God on this or any other issue, but I can't imagine being in the place that this young woman was.  Personally, I fear death to such an extent that I don't think I could ever do something like that, but I really can't argue with a person who wishes to pass peacefully and spare themselves the final, horrible stages of an illness like that. Whatever our positions are on this issue, the truth is this:  the decision was hers alone to make.  I believe that what Christ would have us do in regards to this situation is to have compassion for her and for her family and friends as they cope with the loss of their loved one.  That should be something that we can all get behind.

So with those things being said, here is some of what I'll be bringing to God in the coming week:

THANKSGIVINGS
--For the changing of seasons. In the beauty of autumn, we can start to grasp the cycle of life and renewal that takes place every spring.

--In honor of All Saints Day, let us give thanks for the men and women of faith who have gone before us and helped shape our lives in Christ.

--For the right to cast a vote in our republic.

CONCERNS AND PETITIONS
--For our country as we go to the polls, that somehow, when all of this is done, that the people who represent us can find a way to work together for the common good and overcome petty, partisan politics.

--For Brittany Maynard, may she rest in peace, and for her friends and family as they go through this time of loss.

--For all those who are terminally ill, they may find comfort and peace in their lives, and for their families as they struggle side by side with them.

--For the people who continue to suffer from the Ebola virus, and for the men and women who take it upon themselves to treat them.

--For charity and aid workers who will be working throughout the holiday season to help others in need.

"I know that I shall one day see the goodness of the Lord, when God will wipe away our tears and death will be no more.  I know the my redeemer lives, that I shall rise again."--Scott Soper, "I Know That My Redeemer Lives."

"Father, guide us this week and help us live as Children of Light in a world of darkness. Make us imitators of Christ and hear us as we pray as he taught us:

Our Father who art in heaven,
Hallowed be thy Name.
Thy kingdom come.
Thy will be done,
On earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom,
and the power, and the glory,
for ever and ever.

Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment