Sunday, November 16, 2014

The Prayer Room: 11/16/14--23rd Sunday After Pentecost

"Let my prayer be counted as incense before you, and the lifting up of my hands as an evening sacrifice." (Psalm 141:2. NRSV)

So another week has come and gone, another week during which we all try to live our lives the best way we see fit.  How did you do this week?  For me, well, I've earnestly sought God and I hope through his grace that I can continue to be an even better person, both for myself and hopefully for those around me.  The more I think about it, the more that I realize that it's a process.  It's not a lesson that ever finishes.  We should each continue to learn and grow in our lives.  

There are a couple of specific things on my mind this week though.  Just this morning IS militants released another one of their videos portraying the murder of innocent people.  In this case, one of those pictured was Abdul-Rahman Kassig, and American aid worker and convert to Islam that had been working to help refugees on both sides of the Syria-Turkey border.  Apparently the video also showed the execution of several captured Syrian soldiers.  You'll forgive me if I didn't watch it to verify these facts.  I'll be offering prayers for Mr. Kassig and his family in the coming week, and I hope that you will join me not only in praying for them, but for all the people who are stuck under the rule of IS and their families as well.

Closer to home, I'd also ask for prayers for my uncle Greg, who I mentioned in last week's entry as a veteran.  He was diagnosed with lung cancer a year or more ago.  He ended up being given access to some experimental treatments that seemed to have been very successful at dislodging the cancer.  He is doing well, but goes in for some scans to check his progress later this week. This understandably causes our family a bit of anxiety, and I ask that you keep him, and us, in your thoughts this week.

Finally I have something more personal.  The upcoming holidays are always a little tough on me because my job is doing merchandising for a large retail company.  I've been doing it for 17 years now, and over the years having to go through the rigmarole surrounding Christmas and retail has largely destroyed any good feelings I have for the season.  I'm going to try to change that this year. I'll be doing a personal advent regimen that I'm really excited about (more on that in future.)  Also, my sister and youngest nephew will be coming for Christmas.  This will be the first time in years that my mom, dad, my sister, and myself are together for Christmas, and I'm really looking forward to it.  I humbly ask that you will keep me in your thoughts and prayers as I try to change my attitude this holiday season.

Here are some other things that are on my mind this week:

THANKSGIVINGS

--For things that bring enjoyment and enhancement to our lives, such as music, sports, books, relationships, etc.

--For the ease of access to information which can educate us and help us lead better lives.  

--For the food and drink that we eat and enjoy, remembering that many do not have this same luxury.

PETITIONS/INTERCESSIONS

--For those living under the rule of IS or other tyrannical regimes.

--For the family of Abdul-Rahman Kassig, who has recently been murdered by IS.

--For those who continue to risk their lives and freedom to help others in need throughout the world.

--For those whose jobs will keep them apart from their families over the holiday season.

--For those who will be traveling in the coming weeks.

1 comment: